Document management practices, including data recording, storage, and retrieval, play a significant role in ensuring Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers get paid on time. Given the high volume of documents associated with each DME order, however, document management is an area vulnerable to chaos and even loss or misplacement of physical paper documents or digital versions.
Even with a document management system in place, DME providers may struggle with delayed payments because the information contained within the claim did not match the data that the provider possesses. Given below are some ways in which Durable Medical Equipment (DME) businesses can improve their document review process.
#1. Use document management software: Implement a document management system (DMS) that can facilitate the review process by providing automated workflows, task assignments, and notifications to ensure timely completion.
Action item: Reviewing organizational requirements, considering the volume of orders managed daily, and the capacity of the in-house team carrying out data management work can help DME businesses choose the right system from the document management software options available in the market.
#2. Train in-house resources on document review: Train employees on the importance of the accuracy of data, including document review, the review process, and the criteria for review. This can help ensure that all employees are familiar with the review process and can identify issues that need to be addressed.
Action item: Ensure training for both the medical billing document review process as well as in the use of the software that may be deployed for the DME billing purpose.
#3. Standardize the review process: DME provider businesses may need to develop a standardized process for document review. This can include an outline of all the steps to be taken, individual team members responsible for each step, and the timeline allocated to them for the completion of the task.
Action item: Depending on the workload, the DME business can outline and identify review criteria best suited to their orders. Employees engaged in medical billing document review can then follow these clear guidelines to ensure all documents are preserved and the data recorded accurately in the format required. This can also include instructions on retrieval of the data in case tracking of documents is needed at a later stage in the medical billing process.
#4. Outline clear quality control processes and implementation methods: In-house staff can be guided to ensure consistency in document recording and reviewing. This can include developing guidelines on what information to look for in patient data, what to do in case this data is found missing, and how to follow up on any essential information or data missing from patient records. Outlining clear processes at this stage can help reduce the time taken to retrieve the right information at the claim submission stage.
Action item: DME providers can ensure they review the document management system consistently and also check on the actual process being carried out. This can help keep surprises at bay and ensure concerns are addressed on time.
Why should you choose a medical billing provider?
Partnering with professional medical billing providers, especially a HIPAA-compliant one, allows DME providers to allocate their in-house resources to tasks other than medical billing, including document review. Here are some ways in which a medical billing provider can help your business:
- Create more reliable document management systems and processes; help establish better data management practices.
- Help build processes that lead to better-managed data and more accessible information.
- Review and analyze your DME provider billing needs from a business standpoint, thus helping the adoption of effective and relevant document management software.
- Establish peer reviews and any other processes relevant to the DME provider’s business to ensure watertight document review and better claim acceptance rates.
- Enable in-house resources to respond to business needs more effectively without losing track of billing requirements.
- Ensure billing services are aligned with regulatory norms and legal requirements.
- Professional DME medical billing can provide much-needed support and the right expertise to manage billing processes reliably and efficiently, which can help boost business profitability. Learn more about our medical billing at https://www.analytixhealthcaresolutions.com/